Born in 1987
Currently taking Master Degree in Fine Arts, Faculty of Fine Art and Design, Bandung institute of Technology
10thAnniversary, Philo Art Space, Jakarta, Indonesia
ARTOLOGIA, Galeri Hidayat, Bandung
BANDUNG CONTEMPORARY : DISPOSITION, Selasar Sunaryo art space, Bandung
PROJECT 5005 : PREFACE, Galeri Kamones, Bandung
META-AMUK, Galeri Nasional, Jakarta
BAZAAR ART JAKARTA 2013, The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta Pacific Place
RITE OF NOW, AJBS Galeri, Surabaya
SOEMARDJA AWARD 2011, Galeri Soemardja, Bandung
BIENALLE INDONESIA ART AWARD 2010 : CONTEMPORANEITY, Galeri Nasional, Jakarta
KONVENIENT STORE, Galerie Esp’Art- CCF, Bandung
SANG AHLI GAMBAR DAN KAWAN-KAWAN, Rumah Proses, Bandung
Rhythmic visual rhythm
Rhythm is omnipotent in our life; it is there in our heartbeat, in every breath we take, in our emotions, and in our perceptions; it’s there in the chirpings of the birds, in the ocean’s waves, in the sound of water falling; in almost everything that surround us. It is inherent in sound, movement, lines, and colors. It is rhythm that gives meaning to life. In the conscience of the ancient Greeks, cosmology was none other than the presence of a unified interplanetary rhythm, and they built it as a musical conception in philosophy-mathematical form.
Where our feet lead us, where we look, where we hide, where we play, and all other places are none other than rhythm! Such awareness evokes people to organize rhythm using their unique abilities and to make it a string of narrations presenting something that to one’s perception is kept hidden and shrouded. What is the meaning of this? Not all understand what one says, does, thinks or whether it is purposely kept as secret, and that’s the reality – rhythmic reality.
Rhythm is a choice of challenge that young painter Erizal AS taken for his second solo exhibition in Philo Artspace. To present this theme does not come naturally; it needs a close and serious look at his paintings to see that the characteristics are ripe with rhythmic nuance.
In the timeline of Indonesian art history, Erizal AS is still considered as a young painter. But he has made a name in the exuberant contemporary paintings scene in the past five years. His avidity in his active participation in many exhibitions and painting competitions locally and internationally is a sign of a promising serious creativity and productivity. It would be right to say that Erizal is a painter that has established his distinctive character and language.
In this exhibition, Erizal AS would like to convey rhythm that is present in his daily life, in a subjective way, of course, and without the technical reason to modify rhythm and putting it into what we call music. What is interesting to note is his effort to create relations of meaning amongst the musical instruments, human figures, and nature. The significance of the three elements is evidence in the expressive conspicuous strokes of his paintings – as if they are catharsis intent on giving nothing to spare.
The meaning shaped by the relations of rhythm, human, and nature in Erizal’s paintings visibly shows a life narration that strongly represents figures which are dynamic, emotive, and clearly open. His choice of musical instruments such as the piano, guitar, saxophone and violin is merely to show that there are differences when it comes to individualistic expressions.
And what meaning could we expect from the narration of live by rhythm, or in this case, from music? In music rhythm we can find different breath of life narrations: tragedy, comedy, and irony.
People in general would desire to have life esthetically managed, as to find harmony. What are the prerequisite for such harmony? It is none other than the ability to align the tragic, the comic, and the ironic elements! But that would not be the final answer, as we would then be faced with another question: where do tragedy, comedy, and irony come from? The question was indeed the biggest challenge for ancient Greeks thinkers, which eventually gave birth to the discipline of thoughts that we now know as philosophy!
Reality is born out of rhythm! It comes from the human efforts to manage rhythm into various elements and domains of life. Without rhythm, all we have is chaos! Cosmology is believed to be a harmonious orders of strings of rhythm, from which human sees the meaning of life. When Pythagoras interpreted rhythm that he believed to be present in every planet through mathematics, as was written in the early paragraph of this writing, human endeavor to find harmony was believed to have reached a huge success! Music represents logos. The very principal of reality, order, structure and the harmony itself!
The importance of music that represents logos is seen as the foundation of Western civilization, culminating with Friedrich Nietzsche thinking in his book “The Birth of Tragedy”. Nietzsche reexamined the harmonic problem that was identified with the character Apollo and chaos with Dionysius. The problem there lies in how the characters are triggered, with the very thing that we have mentioned over and over, rhythm – music!
It seems to be such a simple matter, how we interact or relate to rhythm – though this matter is hardly the exclusive concern of only few people. Erizal is only one of many painters that happen to be ready to interact with rhythm using painted media. He expresses that rhythm is spontaneous, energetic, hyphenated while at the same going in paradoxical circle. We wonder where in life’s narrative those expressive rhythms bring us. We may be brought to tragedy, irony, or comedy through whatever rhythm we interact with. It is impossible to define the rhythm of life permanently. Rhythm will let us float, crawl, submerged, planted, or whatever.
Erizal seems incline to present that it would be possible for the rhythm of life to adjust to our own experiences, and how we put our own meaning to them. We can see that in how as a painter he has so freely chosen the musical instruments that conform to his aesthetic feeling.
Padang Panjang, 3 februari 1979
High School of Fine Arts in Padang 1994-1997, Faculty of Fine Art, Indonesian Institute Of Art, Yogyakarta.
– 10 Finalists, Lomba Keterampilan Siswa Tingkat Nasional, Jakarta
– Painting Contest, Lomba Lukis Wajah pahlawan, museum Aditiawarman, Barat.
– Finalists Philip Morris Art Awards V.
– Best Work at Dies Natalies XVI ISI Yogyakarta.
– Nominated as one of 10 Best at the painting contest Selekda PEKSIMINAS VI.
– CP Open BIENNALE 2003
– Finalists Indonesian Asean Art Awards.
– Finalists Indofood Art Awards.
– Finalists Jakarta Art Awards, 2006
– As 20 nominees of visual art competition of The Thousand Mysteries of Borobudur
2012 Rhythm of art, philo art space, jakarta
– Solo Exhibition ‘lines Project’ Koong Gallery, Jakarta
10thAnniversary, Philo Art Space, Jakarta, Indonesia
BAKABA#4 Randang dan Rendang, Sakato art Community, Yogya Gallery.
Gambar, Museum Dan Tanah Liat, Yogyakarta.
Reborn Everytime, Sangkring Art Space, Yogyakarta.
Affordable Art Fair, Hongkong
LOCAFORE’14, Bale pare Hall, kota baru, Parahiyangan, Bandung.
BAKABA#3 kini, Jogja Gallery, yogyakarta.
Homoludens#4 “Bermain Seni Rupa dengan Tiga Pesan” Bentara Budaya Bali
Motion & Rhythm, Sangkring art project, Yogyakarta
– Painting Exhibition, FREEKICK, Convention Hall Royal Square, Surabaya
– Islamic Visual Art Exhibition “BAYANG” National Gallery, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition Homoludens # 2, Emmitan CA Gallery, Surabaya.
– Painting Exhibition ‘My Space’, Philo Art Space, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘Intip’ Jakarta Art Distric, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘ City of west, Green Art Space, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition, Nusantara diatas kanvas, Sampoerna Strategic Center, Jakarta
– Group Exhibition ‘Bakaba, Sakato Art Comunity, Jogja Nasional Museum, Yogyakarta
– Group Exhibition Citra Ekspresi Jogja 2.Hotel Shultan, Jakarta
– TRAMENDUM’ Philo Art Space 5th Anniversary, National Gallery, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition ’ TRAP(ESIUM)’ Edwins Gallery, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition ’Charity for Yayasan AIDS Indonesia, Linggar Gallery, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition “ Borderless World’ Second Unniversary of Srisasanti Gallery, Yogyakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘Exposign’ Jogja Expo Center, Yogyakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘Celebrating The Differences, Elegance Art Space, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘Biasa Gila’ Biasa Gallery, yogyakarta-
– Painting Exhibition ‘ Survey’ Edwin’s gallery, Jakarta
-”Boys|Girls” Contemporary Art, Youth life and culture in two part, Edwin’s Gallery, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘Hulu Fantasi’ One Gallery, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘ SENSI ” Philo Art Space, Jakarta
– “ Manifesto” National Gallery, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘ Sin Sign’ Gracia Art Gallery, Surabaya
– Painting Exhibition ‘ Texture dalam Lukisan’ Jogja Gallery
– Painting Exhibition ‘Jogja Art fair’ Taman Budaya Societed Yogyakarta
– Painting Exhibition ‘Kuala Lumpur Art Fair’ Malaysia
– Painting Exhibition “kembali ke Gampingan”, ex FSR ISI yogyakarta
– Painting Exhibition “Exsisten” jogja Gallery
– Visual Art Exhibition “The Thaousand Mysteries of Borobudur”, Jogja Gallery
– funrrissing “ BOOKAID” IVAA, Nadi Gallery
-The Eleven Painters, El Canna Gallery, Jakarta
– Visual Art exhibition, utan kayu, INTERNATIONAL LITERARY BIENNALE 2007, LanggengGallery, Magelang
– 100 years of Affandi,’ Bung ayo Bung’ Affandi Museum, Yogyakarta
– 1st Anniversary of Jogja Gallery, Visual Art Exhibition, Yogyakarta
– “BUMI’, Mondecor Galeri, Jakarta
– Inspiring Indonesian Contemporary Art,Shanghai Art Fair, Shanghai
– Painting Exhibition ‘Behind The Horizon’ Sri Sashanti Gallery, Yogyakarta
– Visual Art “Jalin Bapilin” Benteng Verdeburg Yogyakarta
– Charity Art For Jogja, Gedung Taman Budaya Societed Yogyakarta
– Painting Competition ‘Jakarta Art Awards’ Pasar Seni Ancol, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition “Indonesian Traffi” Mondecor Gallery, Jakarta
– Charity for Aceh, TAKSU Jakarta.
– Painting Exhibition, ” TAKSU Jakarta 2nd Anniversary Celebration.
– Painting Exhibition “ DRAMA’ Mon Décor Gallery, jakarta
– Group Exhibition ”SAKATO”, Re-reading ” LANDSCHAP” Nadi Gallery,Jakarta.
– “DIES NATALIS ISI YOGYAKARTA KE XXI & NYOMAN GUNARSA PRIZE Fine Arts, ISI Yogyakarta.
– Painting Exhibition “Nasi Campur” Taksu Gallery, Jakarta.
– Painting Exhibition “ANTHOLOGY”, Mondecor Gallery,Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition “OBJECT(ify)” NADI Gallery, Jakarta.
– Painting Exhibition “Mempertimbangkan Tradisi” Minang Kabau Artists of Indonesian, National Gallery, Jakarta.
– “Funrising” di Kedai Kebun,Yogyakarta.
– Painting Exhibition FKY XVI “BARCODE’ Gedung Taman Budaya Societed Yogyakarta.
– Painting Exhibition “New Works” TAKSU Gallery, Jakarta.
– TAKSU 10nd Anniversary, Celebrating 10 year of fine art in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia.
– Painting Exhibition “LUSTRUM IV ISI” Yogyakarta.
– Painting Exhibition “REPLY” FKY XV,Gedung Societed,Yogyakarta
– Group Exhibition “SAKATO”, Langgeng Gallery. Yogyakarta.
– Painting Competition “PRATISARA AFFANDI ADHI KARYA”, ISI Yogyakarta.
– Cp Open BIENNALE “Interpelation” National Gallery, Jakarta
– Finalists of the “INDONESIAN ASEAN ART AWARDS”, Gedung ASEAN Jakarta & Medan.
– Finalists of the “INDOFOOD ART AWARDS II”, National Gallery, Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition “ Diversity in Harmony” Gedung societed, yogyakarta
– Nomimated Painting Exhibition “PEKSIMINAS”,UKDW, Yogyakarta.
– Painting Group Exhibition “LENTERA Group”,Purna Budaya Yogyakarta.
– Painting Exhibition “ Untuk Semua Umur” Air Rumah Seni, Jakarta.
– Painting Exhibition “20 West Sumatera Artist” Ciputra Hotel Jakarta
– Painting Exhibition “ Manusia Dalam Perangkap Semu” Embun Gallery Yogyakarta.
– Painting Exhibition “Gerakan Seni Pertunjukan Rakyat ” ISI Yogyakarta
– Painting Exhibition “SAKATO”,di TIM Jakarta.
– Dies Natalis XVI ISI Yogyakarta.
– LUSTRUM III ISI, Yogyakarta.
– Painting Competition “PRTISARA” Affandi Adi Karya” ISI Yogyakarta
– Alumni Exhibition “ASRI/ISI”, Garuda Hotel Yogyakarta.
– Group Exhibition “SAKATO III”, Purna Budaya Yogyakarta
– Group Exhibition “SAKATO II”, Purna Budaya Yogyakarta.
The spotlight on ‘urban culture’ is for contextual reason only. Urban issues or themes have given artists a lot of events, cases and issues that are challenging to be responded to; it is a general understanding that the changes in the society and the changes in the whole nations are coming from the changes in the urban space. Artists are challenged to take a stance about all the changes: either they have to go with the sweep of the flow or they gather their resolve and stand against it no matter how impossible it may seem.
Born in Sriguna(OKI) South Sumatra, 1972. Educated at SMSR Palembang, South Sumatra, (1989-93); Indonesia Institute of Art Yogyakarta (1995-2000). Has been involved various artists’ organisations in Palembang and Yogyakarta since 1990, including the Sanggar Bidar Sriwijaya, Rumah Seni Keluargatuk Which he co-founded in 1998, and Rumah Seni Muara, Yogyakarta which he co-founded in 2003. Edo has had solo exhibitions in Copenhagen (Denmark), Yogyakarta, Surabaya, Jakarta (Indonesia) and Singapore He has participated in group exhibitions in USA, Canada, Virgina, New Jersey, California, New York, Singapore and Indonesia since 1995.
1996- Karya Cat air Terbaik Seni Murni FSR ISI Yogyakarta
1998- Karya Seni Lukis terbaik, Diesnatalis XI ISI Yogyakarta
2001- Nominasi Philip Morris Indonesia Art Awards 2001
2002- 10 Karya Tebaik Indo Food Art Award 1, di gedung Museum Nasional Jakarta
2003 -Nominasi Philip Morris Indonesi Art Awards 2003
2011 Menjadi/ isness, Galeri Nasional Indonesia, Jakarta
2007 Senjakala Eros, Art Forum, Singapore
2005 Membuat Rumah Baru, Emmitan Cotemporary Art Gallery, Surabaya
2002 Tulang Punggung,Purna Budaya, Yogyakarta
2000 Re-Kreasi, Museum Benteng Vredeburg, Yogyakarta
1996 Impressions in Denmark, Indri Moeberghus, Copenhagen, Denmark
Selected Group Exhibitions
Anniversary Expressions, Philo Art Space 7th Anniversary, Jakarta
Homo Ludens #3, Emmitan Cotemporary Art Gallery, Surabaya
Sillahturrahmi, Bentara Budaya, Yogyakarta
Tanah Air Pusaka, Kelompok Greget’ 95, Bentara Budaya, Yogyakarta
KembarMayang, Museum H. Widayat Mungkit Magelang
Pasar Kincrung, Bentara Budaya, Yogyakarta
Membuatnya Abadi, Galeri Semarang, Semarang
Indonesia Art Award (IAA), Galeri Nasional Indonesia,Jakarta
Inventory, pesantren Kaliopak LESBUMI, Yogyakarta
Drawing, Galeri Nasional Indonesia, Jakarta
Wendt gallery,California, USA
Ketik Reg Manjoer, Kelompok Greget’ 95, Sangkring art Space, Yogyakarta
Im Rainbow, Esa Sampoerna Art House, Surabaya
Re-Konstruksi Zaman ke Emasan, Gedung Taman Budaya, Yogyakarta
Manifesto, Galeri Nasional Indonesia, Jakarta
Self Portrait, Jogja Galeri, Yogyakarta
Indonesian Cotemporary All Star 2008, Tujuh Bintang art Space
Fragmentasi, Philo art Space Jakarta
Loro blonyo, Gedung Trijuang Magelang
Emotion Home, Bentara Budaya Yogyakarta
Perang Kembang, Bentara Budaya Yogyakarta
Artikulasi, One Gallery Jakarta
69 Seksi Nian, Jogja Gallery, Yogyakarta
Neo- Nation, Biennale Yogyakarta, Sangkring art Space, Yogyakarta
Post Ideologi, Galeri Gracia Surabaya
Luar Biasa, Galeri biasa yogyakarta
Boeng Ajo Boeng: Tafsir Ulang Nilai-nilai Manusia Affandi, Bentara Budaya, Yogyakarta
200 Tahun Raden saleh, Ilusi-ilusi Nasionalisme Jogja
Open Studio,Grafis Minggiran & Rumah Seni Cemeti, Yogyakarta
Imagened Affandi, Gedung Arsip Nasional, Jakarta
Draw, Museum & Tanah Liat, Yogyakarta.
Memoratian, Galeri Semarang, Semarang
Wedding: Tobacco & Art OHD, Gedung Trijuang Magelang
Art For Jogja, Gedung Taman Budaya, Yogyakarta.
My Favourite Painting & Sculptures, Art Forum, Singapore
Indonesian Contemporary, iPreciation, Singapore
Hari in, Disini , Biennale Yogyakarta, Gedung Taman Budaya, Yogyakarta
BazArt, Museum Benteng Vredeburg, Yogyakarta
5th Anniversary Exhibition, Rumah Budaya Tembi, Yogyakarta
Keok! Rumah Panggung, Nitiprayan, Yogyakarta
Makan Seni Rupa, Rumah Michelle Chin, Yogyakarta
Pameran Gelas + Cangkir, Parkir art Space, Yogyakarta
Art for Aceh, Gedung Taman Budaya, Yogyakarta
Catalog: #Hashtag M. EDGAR DEGAS (KH “ERE“)
Born in Jakarta, March 11, 1990.
Selected group exhibition(s):
2014: #Hashtag, Philo Art Space, Jakarta
Bukan Musik Bukan Seni Rupa”. Gedung Serba Guna ISI Yogyakarta.
Kiss the Rail”. Ngopiyokarto. Yogyakarta.
“Sticker Round”. Racily Cafe. Yogyakarta
Sewon Calling #2”. Gallery R. Soetopo. ISI Yogyakarta.
Hydro Pyrates. TK fest 4. UPT Gallery. ISI yogyakarta.
In Future We Blur”. JNM. Yogyakarta.
Visual Berkeadilan”. DKV Bergerak. Tujuh Bintang Art Space. Yogyakarta.
Just Because I Love You”. Via Via Cafe. Yogyakarta.
“Cutting Edge”. Hand Cutting Workshop Exhibition. Kedai Kebun Forum. Yogyakarta.
“Seni Buku Seni”. Book Play Project Workshop Exhibition. Kedai Kebun Forum. Yogyakarta.
“Culture Expansion”, Diskomfest 4. JNM. Yogyakarta
“Otak Antik”. HIMBAJA. Batu Galleria. Batu, Malang
“IntuISI”. JNM. Yogyakarta
“Cycle In Art”. Slonong Boys. Art Cafe. Seminyak Bali
“Drawing Revolution”. FFR DGTMB Shop. Yogyakarta
“Electronic”. Drawing Lovers #3. Sangkring Art Space. Yogyakarta
“My Hero Today”. Attention Project #. Grobak A(r)t Kos. Semarang
“Disamber Desember #4”. UPT Gallery. ISI Yogyakarta
“Sewon Calling”. Music and art Exhibition. Lobby DKV ISI Yogyakarta
“Art For AIDS”. Pameran We Care Art Project. Gedung EMAX Kemang. Jakarta.
“Selekda PEKSIMINAS”. Gallery Seni Rupa UNY. Yogyakarta.
“Yang Penting Sepasang Buat Si INA”. Ruang publik Lempuyangan. Yogyakarta.
“GEMPAR”. Drawimg Lover #2. UPT Gallery. ISI Yogyakarta.
“Erection of Nation”. P arts 3 Fest.UK Petra.Surabaya.
Melukis bersama Pasar Ngasem.Yogyakarta.
“Poster Propaganda”. Pameran Respecta Streetart. Coffee Toffee Chics. Jakarta.
“Penggaris Itu Dosa”. Pameran Sketsa. Lobby Desain Interior ISI Yogyakarta.